Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]

my new truck

Sponsor

Sponsor

Post subject: my new truck
PostPosted: November 25th, 2013, 5:22 pm 
Dirt/Rocks are my Crack

1973 chevy silverado K30 4x4 long bed with a big block 454

Plan on making a camper out of tubing for it and using it as a tow rig for my jeepster. The JK is getting fixed up to sell.
Has AC/heat but the vents arn't working right and the fan isnt blowing hardly at all. Few things here and there that need to be fixed but it runs and drives great. No overdrive but turning 37" tires I was able to do 75mph all the way back from burbank (8.3mpg). Anyone know how hot is too hot for oil? I was getting up to 270 deg at times.....
Just did a oil change 20-50 valvoline VR1 racing oil, guess its supposed to be good for older engines. Just expensive.
Supposed to have a D60 up front, this one has a D44 so I think I will swap the front axles with the jeepster to get the beefy D60 back where it belongs. It should swap right in, it originally came from a truck from the same gen. Just need to make sure the gears are the same.
Frame is spotless and was powder coated....looks like new. New tires and rims with like no wear. Was told the engine came out of a early suburban was rebuilt and has a edelbrock carb and intake now.. Has 2 Flowmaster mufflers and two pipes coming out the back, looks like aftermarket headers too.

LOVE it so far!!!!
Will try and get more pictures, just is dark when I get off work :banghead:

Post subject: Re: my new truck
PostPosted: November 25th, 2013, 7:31 pm 
I work to support my 4X4!

I dont know about oil but BRASS(your bearings) melts at 250deg. Thats not good dude.

PostPosted: November 25th, 2013, 8:48 pm 
My 4X4 owns me!

Are you sure it's a K30? Previous owner stole the Dana 60 and swapped in a 10 bolt? Is that a 44? Doesn't look like it. At least you have a 60 for the front. Gears match with your 60? Look for a Gov bomb looker in the rear. At least he put disk in the rear.

Reason I ask if your sure it's a K30, is I don't think that is the right transfer case for a 30. Is that a NP241? Should be a 205 I think.

It's a Chevy though! :kungfu:

PostPosted: November 25th, 2013, 9:18 pm 
Dirt/Rocks are my Crack

no Im not sure its a K30 anymore :dontknow:

Just checked the pink slip and it shows a C20 but the C20 never even came in a 454 or a 14 bolt rear. The C is for 2wd also, maybe the guy was trying to make it into a K30 :thinking:
Stiff as hell, even feels like 1 ton springs.

Im not sure whats up front anymore......guess I could even change both axles out but am thinking the gears will match so I dont have to. I have a 14bolt and D60 with 4.10 gears on the side of my house, originally for the jeepster, even has high steer setup and brand new disk brakes on the 60.

NP241 any good? I got a 205 laying around as well for the jeepster :lol2: I havent even tested the 4x4 yet. I have some super swampers in 36" I might change out for the rain.

Could very well be a 10bolt...are those any good? and whats a Gov bomb looker? Will jack it up tomarrow and look around more, holiday just started early for me :beermug:

PostPosted: November 26th, 2013, 7:09 am 
My 4X4 owns me!

If you have some time, get on CK5.com. Search, search, search. Everything you will want to know is on there. You hate to pay $25.00 a year to see most pictures and special forums. I can give you my username( munepit) and password. If you own a Chevy, you need to be on that site. The wealth on knowledge is amazing. Pm me if you want my password.

Search: gov lock, K30, np241, 10 bolt etc.

The 14 bolt under there looks to have a bunch of mounts I don't know what they are for. I think the Dana44 tierod mounts above the knuckle, gov lock WILL explode.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2013, 3:58 pm 
Dirt/Rocks are my Crack

Fuel pump went out so I took the time to just about redo the entire fuel setup. Before anyone asks why I didnt just use a mechanical fuel pump, its because the fuel rod is somehow jammed up in the block. Was wondering why this guy used a inline pump untell I popped the cover off. :banghead:

I painted the tank and straps with a single stage auto paint (Finish 1). Was originally just going to rattle can it but the old paint just fell off while cleaning. Completely stripped it and layered some good auto paint on instead. Looks great even without wax. Straps also got a few coats of rubber spray to help prevent the vibrations from rubbing through my paint. Stock it came with a cushon but have been told dirt/gravel will get stuck in it and pit the tank over time and to just run without.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: January 4th, 2014, 10:06 pm 
Addicted to 4X4

Looks like u have couple years there. Good thing about chevys 73 to 90 all interchanges. Corp 10 bolt in front axle year ? 81 to 91. Front end clip 89 to 91 or whole cab with clip same years C model may reason for 2wd title? Notice front spring perch are rivits in frame so Frame is 4x4 73? If motor has 4 center bolt valve covers the sec gen big block if outer 1gen. Trans is 700R or 4L60 can't see pan,once mated to a vortech truck motor, t case 241 1981 to 91. Your truck like that Johnny Cash song. It's a 73,81,85,91 u know how it go. Nice truck. Swap in a diesel 95 to 97 Cummins 12 valve P pump motor with 5 Spd.
You'll get 21mpg.

PostPosted: January 4th, 2014, 10:15 pm 
Addicted to 4X4

Front leaf springs have no taper edge with pads STIFF!!! Superlift soft rides take care harshness. Looking at dash early 70s cluster but Gray dash pad is84 to 87. :drinks:

PostPosted: January 11th, 2014, 10:48 am 
Dirt/Rocks are my Crack

Wow, thanks for all the good info on my truck :Thumb:
It has the outer bolts holding the valve cover on so I guess its the first gen engine. The owner I picked up the the truck from got it from a mechanic on trade for a job he did (contractor) and thinks it came from a late 80's suburban.
Never noticed those rivits before you mentioned it, pnk slip shows a c20 and serial numbes on the cab match a c20. I dont really care either way, truck will never be checked anyways.
The ride is stiff as hell, looking at getting new springs and lowering a little if the tires allow it. So the Superlift makes good leafs? Looks like this guy cut his own leafs and just stacked them. I need it to be atleast 3/4 ton springs for a camper. Have been looking into using air bags a little and running 1/2 ton springs. Will give me a softer ride when Im not hauling the camper around. Also looking at getting a sway bar, rolling a lot on turning cant been good for hauling a camper. :lol2:

Been wiring in a painless 18 circuit wiring harness, its almost all tied in, almost all connections are soldered and wiring is short, sweet and out of the way. Looks 100x better then before and much safer.

Just had 2 new gas tanks arrive yesturday so my rust problem will be taken care of for good. Also go 2 new vent windows, tinted green and new gasket material for them.

The t-case and tranny any good? Would really like to get a 700r4, seems like the axles are geared really low. Even with 37" tires Im doing 3500rpm at 65mph. Would love to have a overdrive. Also got a 205 I was going to swap in it, but if not worth my time I will just leave it alone...

Will try and get some more pictures posted a little later.

PostPosted: January 12th, 2014, 4:44 pm 
Addicted to 4X4

205 t case mated to a 700R is a great set up. U can even stack your 205 case behind a NP203 gear box with adaptor plate . COMPOUND LOW RANGE 2w or 4wd with a twin stick set up! 3500! 456 or 513 gears my guess. 700r will fix that. tran looks like u have a 400hydromatic pan look like Texas state? STRONG! 3spd should help off set 700R cost. Check web site OFFROAD DESIGN u should like what u see. U the guy with a yellow JK? Have fenders yet? If yes, sold you teraflex arm. While back.
700R has the same 4 bolt mating set up and spine count 27 as 350trans so you need to fine middle fact adapt case or advance adaptors in paso Robles Has reproduction.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2014, 3:48 pm 
Dirt/Rocks are my Crack

454 cracked a head so I ended up pulling it out and dropping my 383 in it that I was planning on using in the jeepster.

I plan on taking the 454 core to a shop and having it bored and miced. Thinking of stroking it a little and throwing a roots blower on it for 750hp. Been researched a lot and havent quite made up my mind yet. It will be build for low end torque though and will be completely built using all new parts. Even thinking of running it on the jeepster so I can smoke just about anything. :lol2:

Hope to start this 383 up by the end of the week, need to paint the front clip red while I have it apart. Starting to rust and painting it something other then black will give it a much cleaner look. :wings:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]