Go to page 1, 2  Next

Need some storage

Sponsor

Sponsor

Post subject: Need some storage
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2013, 1:30 pm 
Offroad Prophet

So I love my buggy, except for 2 things:

1) The fact that I can only carry what I can fit on the passenger seat; NO STORAGE at all

2) The 10 gallon Fuel cell works good for places like Johnson Valley, but is pushing it for places like Fordyce

So I ripped everything off the rear with the goal of getting more fuel and some storage. I plan on relocating the fuel cell right behind the seats. With a little re-work on the tube frame, I could get one of the RCI 2161 tanks (or the JAZ equivalent), but after doing research I changed my mind. Turns out that a LARGE percentage of them crack quickly, even installed properly with straps and rubber buffers. A quick google search of "RCI tank crack" will change your mind. Turns out that the RCI and JAZ aluminum tanks are made from thin .090" aluminum with minimalist welds.

So, I am having my buddy at American Fab make me a custom tank out of 1/8" 5052 fully TIG welded. It will hold 16 gallons and I will not have to cut the tube frame on the buggy!

So in here somewhere, I am going to attempt to fit;
1) a 16 gallon fuel cell + pump
2) an Optima battery
3) a powertank
4) a small cooler (already have the SWAG mount)
6) a tool bag
7) a flashlight
8) about 4 quarts of fluid
9) a first aid kit

Attachment:
tank1 (800x600).jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Need some storage
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2013, 2:55 pm 
I work to support my 4X4!

roof rack or bad ass off road trailer

Just Empty Every Pocket

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2013, 2:56 pm 

Or one of those hitch carriers

Just Empty Every Pocket

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2013, 4:04 pm 
Offroad Prophet

Solution.... research backpacking setups. They do a lot with little space, less that we have and make multi week trips without issue.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2013, 6:32 pm 
Offroad Prophet

abendx wrote:
Solution.... research backpacking setups. They do a lot with little space, less that we have and make multi week trips without issue.

Not taking the buggy camping, that's what the Jeep is for :shave:

I just need space for general trail supplies - there was literally nowhere to put anything except on the passenger seat - not even a small tool bag. And I need it protected by the cage when I roll. This was an XRRA race buggy chassis (short course racing), so was designed to carry absolutely nothing. I am changing some of the tube on the rear and tucking up a custom cell behind the seats.

A powertank, tool bag, recovery strap, and small cooler for my lunch is all I need. And I need to find a home for the battery - I'm thinking of putting that in the cockpit.

Im gonna need to borrow my chop saw from you this weekend.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2013, 7:44 pm 

Wow Aaron. Thos R som smrt iders.

Since the cell will be lower you'll have plenty of room on the top and where the cell was for the rest of your goodies. Have you ever thought about needing to carry a spare tire?

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2013, 8:20 pm 
Offroad Prophet

REDxj5150 wrote:
Wow Aaron. Thos R som smrt iders.

Since the cell will be lower you'll have plenty of room on the top and where the cell was for the rest of your goodies. Have you ever thought about needing to carry a spare tire?

That's what I am hoping. The little 17x17 space where the cell was is pathetic. I am going to widen it out a little without messing with the shock mounts.

No spare tire for this buggy. It will be trailered everywhere (keep a spare in the truck) and used at places like JV and Ridgecrest, so a spare is easy to get. I am very good at making plugs/patches work, and have CO2 to get it back on the bead. For the remote or multi-day trips, I will be taking the Jeep.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2013, 8:28 pm 

If brad still has chopsaw ill bring mine over, there is tons of unused space back ther im betting we can fit a standard size cooler(30 pack) plus all the gear you want

Should pick up some of the angle with holes from home depot.to make easy mounting of fluids and tool bag

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2013, 9:39 pm 

One of the keys to mounting an aluminum fuel cell and it not cracking is to have 3 rather than 4 mounting points. That way the chassis flex won't go through the cell. If the cell is as far forward as possible there should be some room behind it for a bin of some kind for some storage.

Do you really need the Powertank? A small air compressor would work if you ever need to plug a tire, and would be easy to find a spot for.

661-679-7957

'98 XJ
'89 XJ

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2013, 7:12 am 
I replaced my blood with mud!

Goatman wrote:
One of the keys to mounting an aluminum fuel cell and it not cracking is to have 3 rather than 4 mounting points. That way the chassis flex won't go through the cell. If the cell is as far forward as possible there should be some room behind it for a bin of some kind for some storage.

Do you really need the Powertank? A small air compressor would work if you ever need to plug a tire, and would be easy to find a spot for.

sorry,,, i'm with richard on this one

but only because i couldn't figure a place to put my powertank :thefinger:

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2013, 7:17 am 
Offroad Prophet

Goatman wrote:
One of the keys to mounting an aluminum fuel cell and it not cracking is to have 3 rather than 4 mounting points.

The tank itself will not be physically bolted down (I was told to never use tabs). It will be held down with 2 or 3 steel straps. The straps and base will have a rubber lining so there is no metal-to-metal contact. I have seen the trophy trucks do it like this (but they run more straps because they have 80-100 gallon tanks). I think that this, coupled with the fact that my tank will be twice as strong as a store-bought tank, will let it survive. I wish I could run a poly tank, but they don't make them in the size I need (Tall and skinny).

I have never been able to get a bead on a tire set with a 12v compressor, and I have tried a couple times - even using a ratchet strap around the tire. I just don't think they work on 40+ tires. Maybe I am just doing it wrong? I have got the bead to set on the 42s on my Jeep with the powertank in just a few seconds.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2013, 7:42 am 

just a splash of either & a match,,, problem solved.

or double bead locks, whichever ;)

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2013, 9:18 am 

Chris, I've run many years with a group of buggies and we've never wished we had a Powertank, we always got the job done with a small compressor. I don't even remember beads coming off that we couldn't get back on, mostly someone with Walkers and Swampers and the inside bead, but it always worked out. Of course, now that I've said that I'm probably cursed. :mrgreen:

661-679-7957

'98 XJ
'89 XJ

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2013, 9:24 am 

With all of that space in front of your engine you could put an OBA setup with a small tank. Perhaps use a York on the accessory belt.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2013, 11:09 am 
Offroad Prophet

REDxj5150 wrote:
With all of that space in front of your engine you could put an OBA setup with a small tank. Perhaps use a York on the accessory belt.

This Idea I like :Thumb:

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2013, 2:11 pm 
I use mud for toothpaste

The aluminum cells were never designed to be run off-road. You should run the 16 gallon pro-sport from JAZ Products. This cell was designed for an off-road application. It is a plastic cell encased in a steel can. And they are local. In Santa Paula, CA.

THE ANGRY BLUEBERRY

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2013, 8:55 pm 
Offroad Prophet

81BigBrett wrote:
The aluminum cells were never designed to be run off-road. You should run the 16 gallon pro-sport from JAZ Products. This cell was designed for an off-road application. It is a plastic cell encased in a steel can. And they are local. In Santa Paula, CA.

Unfortunately, if I went with one of these, I would defeat the purpose of trying to gain some storage space because I would have to fit it where my old cell was. This is why I am having a cell custom made to fit directly behind the cab. I want to use the entire space behind the Radiator for storage.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2013, 2:10 pm 
Offroad Prophet

Everything rough cut and test fitting. Cell fits tight and looks like plenty of starage in the basket.

Attachment:
newtank2 (800x600).jpg

Attachment:
new tank1 (800x600).jpg

:thefinger:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 29th, 2013, 12:03 pm 

Great idea on the fuel cell. That really opened up some room for storage.

661-679-7957

'98 XJ
'89 XJ

PostPosted: April 29th, 2013, 5:43 pm 
Addicted to 4X4

Goatman wrote:
Great idea on the fuel cell. That really opened up some room for storage.

X2

I think most buggies are tight on room.

This was my solution.

I can add a second one on top of that one or add a fuel can on there.....depending on the need. My cooler is in the back as well.

http://www.swagoffroad.com/Alumi-Lid-8-Gallon-Baja-Bins-Accessory_p_73.html

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2013, 10:12 am 
Offroad Prophet

Well, I found a way to get even more storage; move the battery under the hood. I had to make a structure to support the battery, then I will run some tube to protect it and put the skins back on.
Attachment:
battery location (800x600).jpg

I am really happy about this; I actually have a fuel gauge now!!!! No more tapping the tank and looking in it with a flashlight to check the level :wings:
Attachment:
fuel gauge (800x600).jpg

And while I had the dash apart to wire in the fuel gauge, I decided to add a 12v power supply. Now I can charge my phone!
Attachment:
12v (800x600).jpg

Whitesnake is coming over tomorrow to help me get the final mounting done with the fuel cell.

PostPosted: May 5th, 2013, 8:36 pm 
Offroad Prophet

Well, Whitesnake came by on Saturday and spent the day helping me with the buggy. Even though we went through about a case of beer, we got a HUGE amount of work done.

Got the battery mounted in its own little custom compartment beside the engine.
Attachment:
buggy8 (800x593).jpg

Unfortunately, I was a hair off on my measurements for the fuel cell. To avoid cutting into the structural supports, we decided to cant the tank slightly back for everything to fit. This will cause me to lose about 1/4 gallon of fuel capacity, which is less than I would have lost if I made the tank slightly smaller.
Attachment:
buggy7 (800x600).jpg

So fuel cell and battery are mounted. Fuel gauge wired and installed. Now I just need to clean up some electrical, Install on-board air, and organize the cargo area. ALMOST DONE :wings:

Thanks for helping me out Matt!

PostPosted: May 6th, 2013, 9:12 am 

Cool to use that empty space up front. Wondered about what could be stuck in there.

661-679-7957

'98 XJ
'89 XJ

PostPosted: May 12th, 2013, 8:14 pm 
Offroad Prophet

I finished the tank install and running all of the fuel lines. I had so much storage space, I decided to mount my power tank rather than onboard air - which I am extremely happy about. Tomorrow I will install my swag cooler mount and load all of my trail supplies. I also built a deflection plate around my orbital to protect my nut-sack in the event of a line failure.
Attachment:
buggy a (800x600).jpg

Attachment:
buggy b (800x600).jpg

I finished all of the electrical. Hooked up the battery and to my amazement, all of the gauges work. The buggy fired up on the first turn and it runs like a champ. I am ready for Calico next weekend!!!! :wings:
Attachment:
buggy c (800x600).jpg

See you guys at Gatekeeper on Saturday!

PostPosted: May 13th, 2013, 7:45 am 

Desert Dog wrote:
I finished the tank install and running all of the fuel lines. I had so much storage space, I decided to mount my power tank rather than onboard air - which I am extremely happy about. Tomorrow I will install my swag cooler mount and load all of my trail supplies. I also built a deflection plate around my orbital to protect my nut-sack in the event of a line failure.
Attachment:
buggy a (800x600).jpg

Attachment:
buggy b (800x600).jpg

I finished all of the electrical. Hooked up the battery and to my amazement, all of the gauges work. The buggy fired up on the first turn and it runs like a champ. I am ready for Calico next weekend!!!! :wings:
Attachment:
buggy c (800x600).jpg

See you guys at Gatekeeper on Saturday!

yayyyyyy! :wings:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 33 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next