It is currently July 19th, 2019, 12:34 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]

BC109 map for review

Sponsor

Sponsor

Post subject: BC109 map for review
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2010, 2:49 pm 
Offroad Prophet

Starting new thread with a clear slate and without huge pictures that cant be read on mobis.

OK guys, I have never been able to get topo maps to work in my Jeep's Garmin GPS unit (only in my handhelds). But, I just finally figured out how to load the info into my computer and move the data to a USGS Topo program. I found some tracks that I made during a BC109 run last year. The black dotted tracks are just tracks from that day that are probably insignificant. So I highlighted the Blue and Red trails.

The blue track "A", corresponds to where it was reported to me by another member that a USFS sign post was put up saying "closed, no motor vehicles, and something about soil and vegitation", just after the blue trail crosses Dome Springs Road on the east side. If this is what you closed, it is well outside the wilderness area.

The Red Track "B", corresponds to where this particular group I was following last year accidentally went into wilderness. My computer software tells me it starts at 34.75455N 119.23402W. If that is what you closed off, that is legitimate and you group did the right thing, and my sincerest apologies for doubting you.

A trail I have ran, but not on that day, runs in a wash just outside of the wilderness boundary, so that one would be legal. Ill get some numbers on that on Monday.

Attachment:
BC109 day.JPG

I'm going up on Monday and Ill match the GPS points with my handheld (that has TOPO maps loaded). And Ill let you guys know.

Until then, have a safe 4th.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Desert Dog on July 2nd, 2010, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: BC109 map for review
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2010, 3:33 pm 
I'm New Don't Hurt me

Where is the map? Was it supposed to be posted to your thread or are you telling us what the map is going to look like?

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2010, 3:41 pm 
I'm New Don't Hurt me

Desert Dog, I took the GPS points you posted and entered them into Google Maps........ that is exactly where we posted the sign, give or take a few feet.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2010, 6:16 pm 
Offroad Prophet

Hot4jeepin wrote:
Where is the map? Was it supposed to be posted to your thread or are you telling us what the map is going to look like?

It keeps failing. Sorry, I'm having problems converting it to jpeg so this site accepts it. Ill figure it out tonight.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2010, 7:21 pm 
Offroad Prophet

OK, map added to OP...I think :thinking:

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2010, 7:36 pm 
I'm New Don't Hurt me

We did not put up a sign near "A". On the Google Satellite map I looked at with your GPS points, it was where we put the sign. I have a difficult time reading Topo Maps.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2010, 8:37 am 
Offroad Prophet

Is A or B suppose to be the Snaggletooth Trail? There was confusion in the other post I think.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2010, 5:42 pm 
I'm New Don't Hurt me

According to Desert Dogs first post on this thread, "B" is where Snaggletooth is supposed to be.

PostPosted: July 6th, 2010, 10:51 am 
Offroad Prophet

Did not make it out there yesterday. When we got back from fireworks at my aunts house on Sunday night, our dog was gone. Searched through the early morning hours to find her with no luck. Wife said we don't leave for the Rubicon if her dog is not found by then, so I had to cancel wheeling on Monday and put up "lost dog" signs and case every street within miles. She came back to our neighborhood on her own yesterday - so the Rubicon is on!

One guy went anyway, then ran Miller after that. He said that you guys are not the only ones that adopted BC109, the Crips also apparently now own it. He said that rocks all over the wash, trees, and even the dirt hillsides are covered with gang graffiti. He also said the campground was full of mamma and baby bear tracks. some pics he phoned me:
Attachment:
IMG_0004.JPG
Attachment:
IMG_0007.JPG

Ill post when I get up there (after the Rubicon). If your GPS coordinates match trail "B" than you closed a trail that does enter the Chumash Wilderness and I must feast on black bird.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 6th, 2010, 10:58 am 
I'm New Don't Hurt me

We went on Saturday morning and painted the bathroom and a picnic table to cover up some of the mess. We have another day scheduled soon to go back out with graffiti remover to get it off of the rocks. It is pretty sad and was very disappointing to see. We did remove it from several tress as well, but I am sure it will be tagged again before we have the chance to get back out there.

Sorry about your dog, but glad he found his way back home.

I guess our apology from you will have to wait a bit longer......... And here I had the crow all nicely roasted and ready for you to partake. ;)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]